PHABRIX SxA AES
Order Code: PHSXAES
The PHABRIX SxA was introduced in 2008 as the world's first hand held multi-standard video test signal generator, analyser and monitor including AES audio testing and monitoring. With testing for 3G-SDI, HD-SDI and SD-SDI supported as standard, the PHABRIX SxA has been continually advanced through the provision of regular product updates and feature rich options. It has become a firm favourite with engineers worldwide who require a small, portable, easy to use precision instrument for broadcast infrastructure test and measurement.
- Combined generator, analyser and monitor
- Full support 3G-SDI, HD-SDI, SD-SDI
- Truely a hand held instrument for an engineer who needs mobility
- Full generator, 32 patterns, moving zone plate and custom
- Analysis includes waveform, vectorscope, data toolsets
- 16 channels embedded audio, level meters
- Full AES audio, 16 independent tones
- Dolby E generation and analysis (option)
- Small profile, rugged aluminium case
- Low power consumption (9W)
- Lithium polymer rechargeable battery 2-3 hours tether free operation
- Ethernet upgrade, connect and download for firmware and software
- Cool operation
- UK designed and manufactured
Simplicity in Use
The PHABRIX SxA's intuitive interface and logical workflow allows the professional engineer to quickly select from generator, analyzer and monitor toolsets. Feedback is smooth and interactive clearly displaying a full range of test and measurement toolsets on its large 4.3" 16:9 colour TFT screen.
The PHABRIX SxA also offers auto Bi-level, Tri-level and SDI genlock with cross lock capability which is so important for a range of broadcast applications. CRC error detection, video aspect ratio detection and SMPTE 351 display are some of the many sophisticated tools as standard. The PHABRIX SxA can be further enhanced with a range of options.
PHABRIX has employed the very best state of the art technologies within its product line up. With all products, upgrades are available via password protected codes which can be downloaded and entered into the PHABRIX SxA on-the-fly. Firmware upgrades use the in-built Ethernet connection to enter software as it becomes available or via the website under Support.
Extensive audio support
In addition the Sx range of instruments can be further enhanced with a range of software options available on the platform. A simple software code will unlock these at any time.
- SDI analysis and anciallary packet analyzer
- Command scripts and print report
- Advanced formats
- Programmable moving zone plate
- Dolby E bitstream analyser
- Dolby E bitstream generator
- Ancillary status
- Enhanced remote control
- Remote control
The PHABRIX SxA is ideal for studio, OB, and lab environments operating from either the internal battery or via the included mains adaptor. Compared to the expense of heavy bench bound products several PHABRIX SxA’s can be obtained allowing an engineer to have his own personal extensive on the go solution for the most sophisticated broadcast T&M requirement.
The PHABRIX SxA has a built-in Ethernet connectivity for remote operation allowing an engineer to interrogate the PHABRIX SxA from anywhere with an Ethernet connection. A simple two second press of the control thumb dial takes a snapshot of the PHABRIX SxA screen for download later. Sophisticated data logging is also provided for 24/7 monitoring of over 10,000 entries.
Typical SxA Applications
Applications for the SxA include, but are not limited to:
- Checking what is on the end of the cable. In the equipment bay, studio or outside broadcast environment, knowing what is actually on the end of the cable is probably one of the most important applications. In a world where over 450 video formats are possible, known exactly what is actually on the humble BNC is essential.
- Checking video quality, levels, saturation and cast. Any where there is broadcast equipment, there is a need to be able to check the that the video is correct. The Sx range of handhelds allow closed loop testing of equipment to ensure that video is processed transparently.
- Checking the presence and integrity of metadata. Metadata is used world-wide as a way of transmitting additional program information and can include format information, studio information, closed caption information as well as custom information. Being able to detect whether metadata packets are present and correct can ensure that vital information is passed from one system to another
- Checking video / reference timing. In any environment where a studio reference is being used, the timing or alignment of all video signals needs to be checked. The Sx range allows the video input(s) to be measured against the studio reference to ensure that all equipment and feeds are correctly timed.
- Checking Audio levels, channel assignment and integrity. With the introduction of SDI, audio became an integral part of the signal transmitted via BNC. Being able to check the channel assignment, levels and content anywhere can provide a significant level of confidence in any environment.
- Deliberate Error Generation to check the susceptibility of equipment. As a manufacturer you will want to ensure that your equipment can function correctly when presented with common errors. The Sx test pattern generator can be used to introduce known errors into the data stream as well as outputting pathological test patterns.
- Automation and Remote control. Within a manufacturing environment, the Sx hand units can run automatic test routines locally using Scripts and remotely using the PHABRIX Remote Control Protocol. In the broadcast environment where equipment bays can be sited remotely, the ability to connect to a device via structured networking and control it at your desk has significant advantages.
- Format compliance testing. Many manufacturers and installers use the Sx hand held range to ensure that their products and installations are format compliant. With support for over 450 transmission and production formats and automated testing (via scripts or remote control) the Sx makes the laborious time consuming task manageable.
- Dolby Setup before live events. With many organisations using Dolby E to transmit captured surround sound audio at an outside broadcast event back to the studio. Users of Sx with the Dolby Metadata Analysis and Generation options are checking their setups are correct before going live.
The PHABRIX SxA has been awarded the prestigious IABM Peter Wayne Award for Design and Innovation at IBC 2008' along with Broadcast Engineering's 'Pick Hit' at IBC 2008. In 2009. The PHABRIX SxA was also presented with a BIRTV award in Beijing China.
PHABRIX SxA AES Specifications
|Display resolution||480 x 272 pixels auto scaling|
|Display type||16:9 24 bit colour TFT|
|Display size||95 x 54 mm|
|SDI||3G-SDI, HD-SDI SD-SDI|
|Outputs||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
|Inputs||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
|Genlock||Bi/Tri/SDI with cross lock|
|Adjustable timing||0 to 1 Frame|
|Text Ident||Yes with font, colour and point size|
Video Test Signal
|Static Test patterns||32+ including full frame|
|Moving Zone Plate||Yes|
|FORMATS||A full list of supported SMPTE formats for 3G, HD and SD can be supplied on request|
|Internal speaker||0.5 watts|
|Audio DAC||24 bit stereo|
|Headphone socket||3.5 mm with auto line out|
|Generator/Monitor||48 kHz 20-bit (SD-SDI) 24-bit (HD-SDI)|
|16 channel embedded audio||Yes|
|AES output||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
|AES intput||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
Audio Test Signal
|Variable tones||1 Hz-24 Khz in 1Hz steps|
|White noise generation||Yes|
|Audio levels variable||0 to -100dB in 1dB steps|
|Audio phase invert||Yes|
|Navigation panel||5 menu keys 8 custom select/program|
|Integral battery supply||Yes|
|Internal Storage||1GB (upgradable)|
|Remote control||Web browser interface|
|AC power supply||Included|
|Security||Kensington lock fitting|
|Size||H:92mm W: 225mm D: 42mm|
|PHABRIX SxA||Code: PHSXAES|
For Product support please contact your distributor at the place of your purchase. Should the product be beyond their repair assistance the distributor will contact the PHABRIX Support Team on your behalf.
A summary of PHABRIX’s warranty is given below. The detail of PHABRIX’s warranty is included on the web-site under Terms and Conditions.
Please note that the battery, third-party SFP modules and SFP cages are not covered under warranty.
Summary of manufacturer’s warranty and warranty service
PHABRIX products will be supplied to the distributor with a manufacturer’s warranty in favour of the end-user of the product. Under the terms of PHABRIX’s warranty an end-user will be able to claim for any defect in material and workmanship for a period of 1 year from the date of new product shipment to the end-user. Under the terms of the warranty, PHABRIX will supply replacement parts for those which prove defective and warranty labour if the defective equipment is returned freight prepaid either to PHABRIX or to an approved factory service depot.
This warranty does not include responsibility for any transportation damage or handling damage or insurance costs.
1. Automatic product warranty will cover the first year from the date of invoice to the distributor’s end-user and end same date in the next calendar year.
2. Should the product develop a fault, the distributor will provide first line telephone support for the end-user to confirm the fault is technical and not operator error.
3. If the distributor considers the product to be faulty following their telephone support, the product must be returned to the distributor for visual examination to confirm the fault.
4. The distributor must then contact PHABRIX to discuss whether the product should be replaced from the distributor's stock or directly from PHABRIX.
5. If the product is faulty and cannot be repaired by the distributor, the distributor must obtain a Return Material Authorisation (RMA) number from PHABRIX before sending the faulty product to PHABRIX.
The warranty shall not apply if:
1. PHABRIX finds that the product or its component parts have been altered by unauthorised personnel;
2. the end-user installs, in the product, parts not made or supplied by PHABRIX, except such components specified by PHABRIX;
3. the product was used or installed in a manner other than in accordance with PHABRIX’s instructions;
4. the product is opened by the end-user.
Warranty Return Policy
If the product fails due to manufacturing defects, PHABRIX will either:
(a) repair the product; or
(b) replace the product.
Equipment Return Procedure
Before returning equipment to PHABRIX, the distributor or end-user must first obtain a RMA number from PHABRIX. All costs associated with shipping the product to PHABRIX shall be borne by the distributor or end-user, this includes freight, insurance as well as any and all brokerage fees and customs charges. The shipping costs associated with the return of the product to the distributor or end-user will be borne by PHABRIX.
Out of Warranty Repairs
PHABRIX will perform out of warranty repairs in accordance with its current service pricing schedule. All costs associated with shipping the product to PHABRIX shall be borne by the distributor or end-user, this includes freight, insurance as well as any and all brokerage fees and customs charges. The shipping costs associated with the return of the product to the distributor or end-user will be borne by PHABRIX.
Thank you very much for your recent purchase of PHABRIX Product, it is very much appreciated by everyone at PHABRIX.
Try before you buy
Test the functionality of the PHABRIX Sx and experience its simplicity for yourself by downloading the simulators available below.
SxA (12MB) Version 0.12.0013 (22nd October 2013)
SxE (12MB) Version 14.00.13938 (18th January 2017)
Sx Tag (13MB) Version 01.05.14132 (18th January 2017)
Our simulators run on a Windows PC and have been checked for viruses. To access, click on the listed versions and choose 'save' then 'run'. The application will check for recent software updates at start-up.
You can run multiple simulators at once to test remote control of large systems, by using different port numbers. Use the -P Port# command line option to set different port numbers for each instance.
Sx Software & Manuals Releases
Please read carefully the PHABRIX Software End User Licence Agreement before downloading any software from this site.
SxA/SxD/SxE system software
The software may be downloaded on the SxA/SxD/SxE itself by connecting to the internet and going to the System-Engineer page and pressing Download. If you are unable to connect the Sx to the internet directly, download the zip file and extract the contents to a local directory and then copy the files to the setup directory on the unit using FTP - see manual for further details on installing software.
If you are using a software version earlier than version 0.10.0109 you MUST install version 0.10.0109 BEFORE installing this version. If you do NOT do this you will get a blank white screen after installation. You can recover from the white screen by holding down the Left and Right navigation buttons during startup until the factory recovery message is shown.
|Version||Date||Software||Release notes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|14.00.13938||Febuary 11 2016||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|14.00.13898||October 7 2015||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|14.00.13895||September 22 2015||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|0.12.0014||October 31st 2013||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
SxTAG system software
The software may be downloaded on the SxTAG itself by connecting to the internet and going to the System-Engineer page and pressing Download.
|Version||Date||Software||Release notes||SxTAG Manual|
|1.05.14132||July 14 2016||SxTAG
||Changes||SxTAG Manual||Previous Releases|
|1.04.13933||Febuary 11 2016||SxTAG
|1.04.13896||September 22 2015||SxTAG
||Changes||SxTAG Manual||1.02.12980||November 12th 2014||SxTAG
||Changes||SxTAG Manual||1.01.12275||July 17th 2014||SxTAG
|0.12.0028||June 9th 2014||SxTAG
|0.12.0024||Feb 28th 2014||Changes||SxTAG Manual|
The SxTAG supports PHABRIX-supplied and 3rd party SFP modules using an XML file (sfp.xml). This file is held in the "\setup" folder and is loaded at power-up. See the "How can I make my SxTAG recognise third party SFPs?" FAQ for details.
Right click and select "Save Link As" to download the latest version of this file here: sfp.xml
Rx and Sx Remote control SDK Documentation and Utilities
A setup application is provided to install the tools and documentation into the correct places
Tools are installed under the Start Menu and documentation and code examples are installed in MyDocuments\Phabrix\RemoteApiSDK. Download and install the Simulator to find out which commands are associated with which display fields (use context menu to turn on display of remote command information)
|Version||For Software Version||Date||Utilities and Source||Documentation|
|2.7||0.12.xxxx ->||26/01/2016||Applications, Examples & Docs Installer
Simple FTP Client for the Sx range
A setup application is provided to install the FTP Client.
This application simplifies downloading of the latest version for networks where a Proxy server is used and Sx units do not have direct access to the internet. It can also be used for simpler downloading of Screen dumps or Report files from an Sx.
|FTP Client Version||Release Date||Software|
|1.5||18th January 2017||Installer