PHABRIX SxE Eye & Jitter
Order Code: PHSXE
The PHABRIX SxE represents the most comprehensive hand held instrument available in the world today. The PHABRIX SxE has the full functions of the PHABRIX SxA plus physical layer analysis. Displaying eye and jitter diagrams with optional filter selection for timing and alignment measurements on its large 4.3 inch best of class 16:9 colour TFT screen, it is unique in offering laboratory level testing. Cursors and histogram functions allow detailed measurements to be made. The ability of the SxE to produce eye patterns from a 3G signal is particularly significant for those users requiring a solution to testing high end products in the 3G arena. Jitter too is one of the most important issues in the design and operation of high-speed serial links and the SxE jitter tools can be applied from SD-SDI, HD-SDI to 3G-SDI. These comprehensive features propel the SxE into the domain of much more expensive bench bound products and has resulted in it achieving many technological awards. Released in 2009 it has been installed in facilities world-wide and has continued to benefit from PHABRIX's lifetime support for software upgrades making it one of the most stable cool running instruments available.
- Automated eye and jitter measurements as standard
- Advanced option available for histograms, filters, jitter thermometers
- Combined generator, analyser and monitor
- Full support 3G-SDI, HD-SDI, SD-SDI
- Truely a hand held instrument for an engineer who needs mobility
- Full generator, 32 patterns, moving zone plate and custom
- Analysis includes waveform, vectorscope, data toolsets
- 16 channels embedded audio, level meters
- Full AES audio, 16 independent tones
- Dolby generation and analysis (option)
- Small profile, rugged aluminium case
- Low power consumption (9W)
- Lithium polymer rechargeable battery 2-3 hours tether free operation
- Ethernet upgrade, connect and download for firmware and software
- Cool operation
- UK designed and manufactured
Hand held test and measurement
The PHABRIX SxE provides the ultimate in multi-format handheld SDI test signal generation, analysis and monitoring with the added advantage of automated eye and jitter to SMPTE requirement.
The PHABRIX SxE includes 3G-SDI , HD-SDI and SD-SDI test signal generation and analysis. technologically advanced the instrument has provided engineers with sophisticated physical layer measurement within the convenience of a hand held platform. Since its release in 2009, the PHABRIX SxE has become a mainstrean in broadcasting with multiple units in use everyday in many of the world's largest broadcasters. The reliability and feature rich toolset of the SxE remains unsurpassed at a price point that allows mutliple units to be purchased whereas only one was typically reserved for the chief engineer.
The PHABRIX SxE instrument combines a generator, analyzer and monitor within a rugged aluminium housing. Comprehensive signal generation may be locked to either bi-level, tri-level, or SDI sources.
Embedded audio features allow the generation and monitoring of up to 4 groups (16 mono channels) of audio.
With its large 4.3 inch best-in-class TFT screen, images are crisp and clear with easily selected functions made possible through applied ergonomics and colour coded menu selection.
On-board Ethernet networking enables browser based remote control and monitoring. Internal storage for up to 2GB of test patterns and acquired data provide enhanced user flexibility.
The PHABRIX SxE is powered by an internal lithium polymer rechargeable power pack with a flexible 5V DC external input.
A range of software options are available for specific user enhancement.
Designed for ease of use and portability, the PHABRIX SxE is the most comprehensive solution to SDI generation, analysis and monitoring on the market today.
With portability in mind, the Sx range has been successful in many broadcast sectors.
- Broadcast manufacturing
- Outside broadcast facilities, flyaways and trucks
- Production monitoring
- Control room
- Transmission remote control
- 3D application
The PHABRIX SxE has been designed as a cost effective investment for test and measurement with the quality, reliability and reputation established by the PHABRIX brand internationally. PHABRIX products can be found in many of the world’s top broadcasters and R&D establishments where laboratory accuracy and functionality are critical.
Easy to use
The first thing that becomes clear when introduced to the PHABRIX SxE is how easy it is to use. The working interface offers the simplest presentation of control and data hiding the complexity behind button presses which are never more than two layers from the top level menu.
As a generator, analyzer and monitoring solution, the PHABRIX SxE displays the ‘status window’ on boot up which presents all of the primary instruments and logging features in one easy to view window. It is also the ‘top level menu’
Toolsets are colour identified throughout the instrument so at a glance to the left of the screen the vertical coloured strip presents the tool selected, i.e. Green for generator. The 8 control buttons underneath the screen correspond to the menu boxes above which again are colour identified for easy navigation throughout the instrument.
The onboard speaker or stereo headphone socket can verify audio on the signal and be set to make an audible tone indicating logged events.
The PHABRIX difference
Integral to the success of the PHABRIX instruments has been the ability of each to generate at one standard and analyze at another all within a single hand held device. The wide variety of SMPTE formats that can be generated and analyzed and the quality of signal source provided have established the Sx range as a ‘must have’ when diagnosing faults within the ever complex broadcast environment.
Over 32 static video test patterns are provided with additional bouncing box to check video signals haven’t frozen. Moving zone plate is also available across all standards. User defined patterns can be added at any time as DPX, YUV, TGA, BMP formats. Selecting standards couldn’t be easier with the Sx automatically filtering both standard, frame rate and colour space accordingly to the required selection. A simple drop down menu gives access to a range of test patterns. Idents can be added to the signal generated to identify the signal in multi monitor situations such as control rooms.
Analysis of the signal is equally highly focussed. A simple picture view can be selected and when in zoom mode, pixel for pixel accuracy allows the user to move around the video frame with ease checking for specific problems. Cursors can be activated which track through the instrument on a specific pixel in picture, waveform and optional SDI analysis mode.
Along with traditional toolsets such as waveform and vectorcope, the Sx provides sophisticated video checking of signal data such as CRC errors, EDH errors and active picture checksum as standard. For more sophisticated R&D analysis a separate full video frame SDI analysis option is available to view the stream in various modes.
With support for 16 channel embedded audio as standard,16 PPM meters are available to view in one screen simultaneously. Dolby E analysis and generation are additional audio enhancements.
Logging is an important feature which can be set in a variety of ways. The event log is available for download at any time with ample space for over 10,000 log events if required.
At any time a simple two second press of the thumb control will save images of the screen to disk for later analysis or for inclusion in commissioning reports.
The Sx uses ultra reliable Linux as its operating system providing a robust and stable core. Each of the Sx’s is assured up to date hardware and software development thanks to its FPGA design which can be simply updated at any time when connected via Ethernet to any open network. Feature enhancements are easily added to the instruments this way and our R&D regularly add requested features to the Sx’s in the field. Development is on going with the Sx platform and this results in new toolsets which can be added as options.
The Sx can be powered by A/C adapter if required or by integral lithium polymer battery which provides the Sx range with unmatched time of untethered use (1.5- 2hrs) between recharge.
The Sx range benefits from a 1 year warranty once registered. Each Sx leaves our UK factory with its own unique list of quality controlled settings to ensure consistency and traceability. Calibration services are available.
Broadcast engineer's toolset
Acknowledged as one of the industry’s easiest to use interfaces, Sx instruments have been designed to fully implement the PHABRIX GUI.
Engineers can simply, and importantly swiftly control their T&M instrument either through clever presets or user selectable configuration.
Each instrument is never more than a two button press away from the main menu.
In addition the Sx range of instruments can be further enhanced with a range of software options available on the platform. A simple software code will unlock these at any time.
- SDI analysis and anciallary packet analyzer
- Command scripts and print report
- Advanced formats
- Programmable moving zone plate
- Dolby E bitstream analyser
- Dolby E bitstream generator
- Ancillary status
- Enhanced remote control
- Advanced eye/jitter analysis
- Remote control
The Sx range can be controlled remotely using the FTP connection and any standard web browser. The simple user interface of the instrument is mirrored here to allow ease of use.
At any time the user can select, print and save any of the screen views be it video or instrument. Using the command scripts option a comprehensive print report can also be automatically generated with any personalized company logo.
The Sx is its own web server. By entering the unique IP address of the instrument into a standard web browser, communication can be established over the network. The screen displayed is an exact copy of the remote instrument itself so no new interface needs to be learnt. Each instrument can be controlled or remotely configured using a standard web browser.
The command scripts option allows the user to set the test parameters for each unit. Memories are easily saved and recalled for regular compliance testing procedures if required. Print reports can be activated which automatically create a html report page which can be downloaded from the instrument and printed for both internal and customer use.
The Sx can also be user defined and password protected if required.
Typical SxE Applications
Applications for the SxE include, but are not limited to:
- HD-SDI and 3G-SDI waveform quality checking and jitter measurement. Both equipment manufacturers and broadcasters need to be able to ensure the quality of the SDI signal as this affects the distance over-which the signal can be successfully transmitted and subsequently decoded by the receiving equipment without errors. The SxE is an essential tool and in use in over 5000 installations world-wide wherever there is HD or 3G equipment and cabling to ensure that waveform and jitter is within specification.
- Checking what is on the end of the cable. In the equipment bay, studio or outside broadcast environment, knowing what is actually on the end of the cable is probably one of the most important applications. In a world where over 450 video formats are possible, known exactly what is actually on the humble BNC is essential.
- Checking video quality, levels, saturation and cast. Any where there is broadcast equipment, there is a need to be able to check the that the video is correct. The Sx range of handhelds allow closed loop testing of equipment to ensure that video is processed transparently.
- Checking the presence and integrity of metadata. Metadata is used world-wide as a way of transmitting additional program information and can include format information, studio information, closed caption information as well as custom information. Being able to detect whether metadata packets are present and correct can ensure that vital information is passed from one system to another
- Checking video / reference timing. In any environment where a studio reference is being used, the timing or alignment of all video signals needs to be checked. The Sx range allows the video inputs to be measured against the studio reference to ensure that all equipment and feeds are correctly timed.
- Checking Audio levels, channel assignment and integrity. With the introduction of SDI, audio became an integral part of the signal transmitted via BNC. Being able to check the channel assignment, levels and content anywhere can provide a significant level of confidence in any environment.
- Deliberate Error Generation to check the susceptibility of equipment. As a manufacturer you will want to ensure that your equipment can function correctly when presented with common errors. The Sx test pattern generator can be used to introduce known errors into the data stream as well as outputting pathological test patterns.
- Automation and Remote control. Within a manufacturing environment, the Sx hand units can run automatic test routines locally using Scripts and remotely using the PHABRIX Remote Control Protocol. In the broadcast environment where equipment bays can be sited remotely, the ability to connect to a device via structured networking and control it at your desk has significant advantages.
- Format compliance testing. Many manufacturers and installers use the Sx hand held range to ensure that their products and installations are format compliant. With support for over 450 transmission and production formats and automated testing (via scripts or remote control) the Sx makes the laborious time consuming task manageable.
- Dolby Setup before live events. With many organisations using Dolby E to transmit captured surround sound audio at an outside broadcast event back to the studio. Users of Sx with the Dolby Metadata Analysis and Generation options are checking their setups are correct before going live.
Technical AwardsThe PHABRIX SxE has been commended as an 'IABM Peter Wayne Award finalist 2009'
The PHABRIX SxE has been awarded Broadcast Engineering's 'Pick Hit' at IBC 2012.
PHABRIX SxE Eye & Jitter Specifications
|Display resolution||480 x 272 pixels auto scaling|
|Display type||16:9 24 bit colour TFT|
|Display size||95 x 54 mm|
|SDI||3G-SDI, HD-SDI SD-SDI|
|Outputs||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
|Inputs||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
|Genlock||Bi/Tri/SDI with cross lock|
|Adjustable timing||0 to 1 Frame|
|Text Ident||Yes with font, colour and point size|
Video Test Signal
|Static Test patterns||32+ including full frame|
|Moving Zone Plate||Yes|
|FORMATS||A full list of supported SMPTE formats for 3G, HD and SD can be supplied on request|
|Eye bit rates||3Gbps, 1.485Gbps, 270 Mbps|
|Jitter||SMPTE specification filters|
|Jitter thermometers||Alignment, Timing|
|Internal speaker||0.5 watts|
|Audio DAC||24 bit stereo|
|Headphone socket||3.5 mm with auto line out|
|Generator/Monitor||48 kHz 20-bit (SD-SDI) 24-bit (HD-SDI)|
|16 channel embedded audio||Yes|
|AES output||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
|AES intput||1 x 75 Ohm BNC|
Audio Test Signal
|Variable tones||1 Hz-24 Khz in 1Hz steps|
|White noise generation||Yes|
|Audio levels variable||0 to -100dB in 1dB steps|
|Audio phase invert||Yes|
|Navigation panel||5 menu keys 8 custom select/program|
|Integral battery supply||Yes|
|Internal Storage||1GB (upgradable)|
|Remote control||Web browser interface|
|AC power supply||Included|
|Security||Kensington lock fitting|
|Size||H:92mm W: 225mm D: 42mm|
|PHABRIX SxE||Code: PHSXE|
For Product support please contact your distributor at the place of your purchase. Should the product be beyond their repair assistance the distributor will contact the PHABRIX Support Team on your behalf.
A summary of PHABRIX’s warranty is given below. The detail of PHABRIX’s warranty is included on the web-site under Terms and Conditions.
Please note that the battery, third-party SFP modules and SFP cages are not covered under warranty.
Summary of manufacturer’s warranty and warranty service
PHABRIX products will be supplied to the distributor with a manufacturer’s warranty in favour of the end-user of the product. Under the terms of PHABRIX’s warranty an end-user will be able to claim for any defect in material and workmanship for a period of 1 year from the date of new product shipment to the end-user. Under the terms of the warranty, PHABRIX will supply replacement parts for those which prove defective and warranty labour if the defective equipment is returned freight prepaid either to PHABRIX or to an approved factory service depot.
This warranty does not include responsibility for any transportation damage or handling damage or insurance costs.
1. Automatic product warranty will cover the first year from the date of invoice to the distributor’s end-user and end same date in the next calendar year.
2. Should the product develop a fault, the distributor will provide first line telephone support for the end-user to confirm the fault is technical and not operator error.
3. If the distributor considers the product to be faulty following their telephone support, the product must be returned to the distributor for visual examination to confirm the fault.
4. The distributor must then contact PHABRIX to discuss whether the product should be replaced from the distributor's stock or directly from PHABRIX.
5. If the product is faulty and cannot be repaired by the distributor, the distributor must obtain a Return Material Authorisation (RMA) number from PHABRIX before sending the faulty product to PHABRIX.
The warranty shall not apply if:
1. PHABRIX finds that the product or its component parts have been altered by unauthorised personnel;
2. the end-user installs, in the product, parts not made or supplied by PHABRIX, except such components specified by PHABRIX;
3. the product was used or installed in a manner other than in accordance with PHABRIX’s instructions;
4. the product is opened by the end-user.
Warranty Return Policy
If the product fails due to manufacturing defects, PHABRIX will either:
(a) repair the product; or
(b) replace the product.
Equipment Return Procedure
Before returning equipment to PHABRIX, the distributor or end-user must first obtain a RMA number from PHABRIX. All costs associated with shipping the product to PHABRIX shall be borne by the distributor or end-user, this includes freight, insurance as well as any and all brokerage fees and customs charges. The shipping costs associated with the return of the product to the distributor or end-user will be borne by PHABRIX.
Out of Warranty Repairs
PHABRIX will perform out of warranty repairs in accordance with its current service pricing schedule. All costs associated with shipping the product to PHABRIX shall be borne by the distributor or end-user, this includes freight, insurance as well as any and all brokerage fees and customs charges. The shipping costs associated with the return of the product to the distributor or end-user will be borne by PHABRIX.
Thank you very much for your recent purchase of PHABRIX Product, it is very much appreciated by everyone at PHABRIX.
Try before you buy
Test the functionality of the PHABRIX Sx and experience its simplicity for yourself by downloading the simulators available below.
SxA (12MB) Version 0.12.0013 (22nd October 2013)
SxE (12MB) Version 14.00.13938 (18th January 2017)
Sx Tag (13MB) Version 01.05.14132 (18th January 2017)
Our simulators run on a Windows PC and have been checked for viruses. To access, click on the listed versions and choose 'save' then 'run'. The application will check for recent software updates at start-up.
You can run multiple simulators at once to test remote control of large systems, by using different port numbers. Use the -P Port# command line option to set different port numbers for each instance.
Sx Software & Manuals Releases
Please read carefully the PHABRIX Software End User Licence Agreement before downloading any software from this site.
SxA/SxD/SxE system software
The software may be downloaded on the SxA/SxD/SxE itself by connecting to the internet and going to the System-Engineer page and pressing Download. If you are unable to connect the Sx to the internet directly, download the zip file and extract the contents to a local directory and then copy the files to the setup directory on the unit using FTP - see manual for further details on installing software.
If you are using a software version earlier than version 0.10.0109 you MUST install version 0.10.0109 BEFORE installing this version. If you do NOT do this you will get a blank white screen after installation. You can recover from the white screen by holding down the Left and Right navigation buttons during startup until the factory recovery message is shown.
|Version||Date||Software||Release notes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|14.00.13938||Febuary 11 2016||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|14.00.13898||October 7 2015||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|14.00.13895||September 22 2015||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
|0.12.0014||October 31st 2013||SxA SxD SxE
||Changes||SxA Manual||SxD Manual||SxE Manual|
SxTAG system software
The software may be downloaded on the SxTAG itself by connecting to the internet and going to the System-Engineer page and pressing Download.
|Version||Date||Software||Release notes||SxTAG Manual|
|1.05.14132||July 14 2016||SxTAG
||Changes||SxTAG Manual||Previous Releases|
|1.04.13933||Febuary 11 2016||SxTAG
|1.04.13896||September 22 2015||SxTAG
||Changes||SxTAG Manual||1.02.12980||November 12th 2014||SxTAG
||Changes||SxTAG Manual||1.01.12275||July 17th 2014||SxTAG
|0.12.0028||June 9th 2014||SxTAG
|0.12.0024||Feb 28th 2014||Changes||SxTAG Manual|
The SxTAG supports PHABRIX-supplied and 3rd party SFP modules using an XML file (sfp.xml). This file is held in the "\setup" folder and is loaded at power-up. See the "How can I make my SxTAG recognise third party SFPs?" FAQ for details.
Right click and select "Save Link As" to download the latest version of this file here: sfp.xml
Rx and Sx Remote control SDK Documentation and Utilities
A setup application is provided to install the tools and documentation into the correct places
Tools are installed under the Start Menu and documentation and code examples are installed in MyDocuments\Phabrix\RemoteApiSDK. Download and install the Simulator to find out which commands are associated with which display fields (use context menu to turn on display of remote command information)
|Version||For Software Version||Date||Utilities and Source||Documentation|
|2.7||0.12.xxxx ->||26/01/2016||Applications, Examples & Docs Installer
Simple FTP Client for the Sx range
A setup application is provided to install the FTP Client.
This application simplifies downloading of the latest version for networks where a Proxy server is used and Sx units do not have direct access to the internet. It can also be used for simpler downloading of Screen dumps or Report files from an Sx.
|FTP Client Version||Release Date||Software|
|1.5||18th January 2017||Installer